Saturday, April 23, 2011

UC Education Plus Al Ain Branch meeting in UAE



Trish Holden dropped into UAE briefly this week so we had a UC Ed Plus reunion over dinner at the local Heritage Village in Al Ain. With the meal comes the hubbly bubbly pipe, so we all couldn't resist having a turn. I couldn't taste the apple and mint in the mixture, so I'm feeling I need to have another attempt at this art form. Surprisingly those around us, mainly women, were all sucking away on their pipes, although I have always assumed this was a male dominated occupation. This is the most unflattering photo of Trish "enjoying" the pipe, but the only one of the three of us together. Trish was also the fab lady I boarded with in Christchurch, who helped me right the wrongs of the world over a glass of wine in an evening, and who inspired me to adapt a never say NO strategy to a planned social life. Trish spent half a day with Madeleine at her school, observing, wearing an abya and adopting the strategies of a local adviser. She then hired Charlie the local and friendly taxi driver used by the Yagadha girls, to come over to my school for the last of the day before heading back to Dubai and her family on her wind whistle tour. A bit like the Queen really who also popped into UAE for a brief stop over to catch up with friends. Thankfully Trish didn't leave it 31 years between visits.

No comments: