Friday, April 08, 2011

Moderation / marking


Moderation of marks is a big push from ADEC currently, and something that has not been a focus for education here. I have introduced my teachers to rubrics as a marking criteria, although they loosely follow them, and marks really do tend to be on the high and liberal side. If I had a bigger team we would cross moderate each others work. Today Ibriham and I had a discussion around the end of year testing that we are completing, and then jointly marked the Grade 8 papers. We seem to be singing off the same song sheet ( test paper) so to speak so all was good. In this final trimester we have to complete BATS, baseline testing which is a retest of the test given at the start of the academic year, and then CATS, common assessment tasks across all the ADEC schools. Between now and the end of the academic year we'll all get lots of practice I hope in marking and moderation. To be honest it's nice joint marking. The conversations we have, both personal and professional are engaging and enjoyable. I really learn lots about the Emirati way of life.

1 comment:

Marg said...

You two look as though you are having far too much fun to be involved in something so serious. Are you sure you are not telling each other terrible jokes instead? :)