







I've been reviewing my photos of Kathmandu and will post them onto Flickr soon.
I loved the people. They were so happy and helpful. I am sure that there is poverty in Kathmandu like any city, but I didn't see lots of evidence of it. There were the poor people, not that many, and the crippled at the temples especially, asking for money. It appeared that people gave quite frequently too, a coin or a five rupee note. All the other people I saw appeared well dressed, no torn, or patched or shabby clothing and everyone seemed quite healthy and always very happy. In the mornings all the rooftops of the houses had the washing hanging out. The roof tops of the houses are well used as an extension of the house. They grow vegetables, fruit and use the space for eating, washing clothes, and general relaxing. The Nepalese I thought are very effective at using what they have well.
The housing was of a much better standard than Georgia, with the exterior of many houses made from local handmade bricks.
The streets and roads narrow, and very much in need of general maintenance and upkeep. Tourism and treking is obviously a great source of income. Flights around the mountains, especially Everest, is a popular tourist activity. The small fixed wing planes could be seen and heard all through the day. As a tourist I felt safe and not exploited. Prices were reasonable.
1 comment:
Love the pics of the boy playing with stones and the lady knitting.
Post a Comment