Monday, December 06, 2010

Himalayan Mountains




I so loved Nepal. I spent my time in and around Kathmandu city, and in the Kathmandu Valley, in the SE part of the country.
The flight itself to Nepal was interesting. We flew up to Iran but not into their airspace, then followed the Arabian Sea / Arabian Gulf to Parkistan before making our way across land. Both Iran and Parkistan look very desolate countries, sand and rock. Although from the air the rock formations looked so interesting, like corrugated iron, wave after wave. We then flew over the very fertile Karachi river plan on the Indian Parkistan border before flying between New Dheli and Varanasi. My goodness they are huge cities and at night coming home you really got a glimpse of exactly how big they are by the lights. In fact I was amazed on the journey home how many big cities we did fly over, Karachi being one of the biggest.
Coming towards Kathmandu was just on sunset. The valley was cloudy and we of course were above the cloud. Poking further out of the cloud were the Himalayan Mountains covered in snow and looking extremely picturesque. Next day our driver took us into the Nagarkot area which allowed us a perfect view of that small part of the Himalayas. To our left some miles away was Everest, although shrouded in haze.
I did venture into quite a large bookstore in Nepal and found Sir Ed's autobiography and of course everyone else's stories and autobiographies. I initially wondered why there wasn't any reference to Sir Ed and his work any where in Kathmandu. I wondered if this was because I actually wasn't in the Everest area. However when I saw all the climbing books for sale in English in the book store, one would actually think Ed who? What country was that again? While being the first to climb Mt Everest is a big thing for us in NZ, he did do it with Norgay Tenzing who was after all Nepalese...... and it was 57 years ago, quite possible outside the life span of so many of these people. And now every second man and his dog, climbs in the Himalayan Mountains. For me the view was just perfect, I let my eyes do the climbing!

1 comment:

ianmac said...

As a jetsetting globetrotter, you must be getting a vision of which country is the greatest. I wonder about the contrast between the affluence of the very rich in the USA and a Nepalese family.