

Last week I did some science experiments with the lads. This is Grade 9.1 This was the cans that sink and float. Thank you Warren for the idea. The diet drinks float and the regular drinks sink in the bucket of water. Eventually when pressed to come up with three reasons why this might be so, some of the boys starting looking at the cans, and the contents of the cans to get some ideas. And in every class the world over there is always that wee photogenic pest that pops his head into lots of shots......
Yesterday was a bad day. We are collecting in the mid term assessment. I did the thinking bucket with Grade 9.2 at the boys school. When asked to draw and write many sat there like stuffed potatoes and did ziltch. When I went to collect in their experiments I got told they are on my flash at home. Yeah pigs might fly. Compared with the girls many of the boys are lethargic and so unmotivated. They come to class, they sit, they appear to listen, they do very little and they leave. In that class yesterday about a third had done any thing. Interestingly enough that third are non nationals, in other words ex pats like me, whose parents are here for a better life style. The other wee sweethearts are mostly Emirati, and probably very wealthy. There are privileges to being born Emirati. Yes yesterday was a bad day! And did I make a difference to learning for any students? Well perhaps a few in Grade 9.2 but not for many others. Tomorrow has to be better, and tomorrow my aim is to make a difference for a few more students.....
2 comments:
I wonder if it has to do with boys not responding because you are a woman?
Hang in there Jocelyn, something you do sometime will turn them on. They probably don't want to lose face by showing an interest.
Post a Comment