


The UAE celebrates National Day, the day the Emirates was formed, on 2 December. It is a really big event here, celebrated across the Emirates with special lights, decorations, displays etc. Everything around town is having a spruce up, as the lights are being hung again. I remember writing about this last year. The enthusiasm is infectious and I love it all. This week at the girl's school, the girls have been decorating the landings, their classrooms walls etc. Today the principal was walking around, clip board in hand. making notes, judging etc.. Assemblies are very special now. We have lots of National Day displays, poetry readings plays, demonstrations etc. These people are so patrotic and so adore Sheikh Zayed who formed the Emirates. I so love their patrotisim, their abilty to share, their ability to celebrate and their ability to remember times not that long ago. 39 years and still going strong.
I have been reading Joe Bennett's book about Dubai and the Emirates in general. 39 years in the Arab world of being supportive to its neighbours, but not jumping in and getting heavily involved in other countries politics, wars and policies. 39 years of stable government and 39 years of educatiing the population to perform well on the global stage and knowledge economy. Sheikh Zayed I acknowledge and admire your committement to your people.
1 comment:
Finished "Hello Dubai." by Joe Bennett.Well written. Well researched.And rather fun. Though he does have an undercurrent about the very wealthy ex-Pats living in enclaves. A good book.
Post a Comment