Friday, January 29, 2010

Camel safari


Last night Tracey co-ordinated for 11 us to take a camel ride out into the desert as her sort of farewell to Al Ain. What a fab experience. I've ridden camels before and each time is so different. The camel ambles like a horse, with a longer slower stride, so its very much sit and the movement rocks you back and forth. The words go with the flow are apt here. This was a well organised trip out to a camel farm about 20 mins from Al Ain on a backroad to Dubai, culminating with Arab coffee and dates. Yummy.
On the way I learnt a lot about camels. Camels trivia.......
Gestation period is 12 months
Camels only give birth every 3 years
A baby camels suckles for 6 months
A baby camel is worth about 4,000 AED
Adults especially the good racing ones 5 mill
Camels eat every 2nd day and drink 5 gallons. Imperial measurements here in UAE
Today I'm off to Sri Lanka. Not by camel I might add

No comments: