Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Spot the giraffe


On Saturday we went along to Al Ain zoo for the afternoon. Entry fee a mere 15 AED. While the zoo is set in a park like complex, where many families sit around and have picnics, it is not a conventional zoo as such, more a collection of some animals. The Australian section has 2 kangaroos and about 6 emus. We could only see 1 orangutan, a lion and a lioness, so its pretty sad for those animals. While their enclosures are big, they don't have company. However the African open enclosures had quite a collection of animals and I just love giraffes. Almost as much as I like elephants. The zoo was an honest attempt at providing and displaying a limited number of animals in captivity, and the only one in UAE. Therefore the authorities must be congratulated at making an attempt, and making the whole thing user friendly. I've been spoiled by the zoos I have visited as a child and with my children. We have booked into a safari in a National Park in Sri lanka, which will be a totally different way of viewing animals.

No comments: