On my school blog I have just posted about the Year 5 and 6 students helping and supporting each other with their learning. I enclosed a diagram I have used in the past about the efficiency / methods in which we learn. As I was posting the graphics I began to think about the ways in which people teach and in particular the way I teach. Everyone uses video especially clips from YouTube to support their lessons and to enhance their lessons. However when you actually analyse the learning efficiency, the learning only has a 20% retention rate. Learning by watching is passive and very much in the transmission mode. So why do we use this mode of teaching? Possibly because our students are wired and often receive so much learning in their out of school time in an audio visual mode eg via the internet or the TV or their iPod.Practice by doing has a 75% rate of retention. My students become familiar with blogs by doing, by creating. Yet the NTL and Behavioral Science Institute believe 90% retention rate is achieved by teaching someone else. How much time do we allow in the course of a day for the students to teach each other? We have experts in our classroom who get the opportunity to teach and hence reinforce and secure their learning. What about the remainder of the students? Do I create enough time in my lessons for students to teach? I think not? Dale's cone of experience (1969) helped clarify learning retention by over laying Blooms taxonomies.(1956) Now up dated by Anderson. Dale's work eased my quandary by classifying the 90% retention as "Doing the real thing." So my students blogging are going to retain 90% of their blog learning? That facet needs breaking down further. Writing v construction of a blog
I was also interested to see the dates of publication of such statistics. 1954, and 1969. I am sure there are current statistics incorporating students learning styles and retention rates. I'm just yet to find them. Food for thought.



1 comment:
Great stuff!
Post a Comment