Extra curricular clubs have started again at school and the expectation is that the staff will take / facilitate / lead one. I have decided to play cards, although we are not allowed to play cards per se. My club is about strategy and thinking when playing card games. An underpinning idea is also to encourage the children to teach and play these games with their families. The games I have chosen as such will involve some thinking and strategy. I’m hoping the students will actually try listening and increasing their powers of observation.. I have 8 boys and one girls and the boys are quite competitive. Not that I’m at all competitive!
Last night we began by playing Memory. Sebastian won easily because he watched the cards carefully. Others wondered why they did so poorly when they talked with each other through the game. Elementary, my dear Watson.
The second game we played was 7’s, a game my Mum used to play with us as kids. 7’s requires some strategy, when to hold the cards and when to play. Of course the success in these games often depends on getting dealt a few good cards along the way. We played 3 games and kept the score. Ms J, was an also ran on. Not that I’m at all competitive!
If you can think of any strategy thinking card games using an ordinary pack of cards like Last card, 3 or 4 of a Kind please leave me a comment. As a child my Gran taught us a card game similar to 500 called Honk. I’m desperate to remember how it is played. Can you help me out?
1 comment:
Poker is a thinking game of strategy?
Post a Comment