Vietnam doesn’t have fast food and takeaway outlets.Therefore the golden arches of McDonalds, of the huge BK Burger King are definitely not found in the country. I embellish the truth slightly, as KFC has a presence here in Ho Chi Minh City, and can be found in a number of locations around district 1 and District 3, the city centre where I live. Not that I have eaten at KFC, however out of curiosities sake I have glanced at the menu. While the product is similar, there seems tobe a number of salad options and fast food containing salad products. Fries and other food containing a high concentrate of salt and fat are not part of the Vietnamese diet. This factor must surely contribute to the fact that there are not the numbers of overweight individuals, either rotund children or obese adults in Vietnam.
Burger King has had an outlet inside the international terminal after customs, so those fast food craving travelers can get their fix while waiting for their flight to be called. Each time I leave from the airport I speculate with those from school as to how long it will be before Burger King moves from inside to outside, and from available to the minority flying international to the general public. Over the summer the move has been made. Burger King now has an outlet outside the International airport. While the general public wait in the meet and greet area they can partake in a fast food delicacy. With Burger King making itself available to the general public at the airport, how long will it be before this fast food chain progresses into the city centre? How long will it be before the golden arches are around Ho Chi Minh? Will this move influence and impact on the Vietnamese diet and health in years to come? Do the general public have the disposable income to purchase fast food or will these outlets be supported by expats?

No comments:
Post a Comment