The Year 3 students have been learning about recycling in Ho
Chi Minh City and I have picked up on their learning and learnt heaps myself
about people I see everyday in the streets. I have not only developed a better
understanding of the roles the recyclers play, but I have also focused my thinking about the
items that I throw out, especially the items that could contain sensitive data.
Around our streets we have 2 types of rubbish collectors.
The first are the waste collectors, mostly men, and they trundle around with 3
wheeled bins collecting household waste and picking up supermarket bags of
rubbish that are left kerbside. Its hard to describe the scene but people basically leave rubbish
on the sides of the streets. They leave rubbish, rather than throw it out as
they do in UAE . As the collectors gather the household waste they separate it
into their own bags which are attached to the side of the bin eg cardboard,
bottles etc and throw general rubbish one rotten banana into the bin. These
guys while being paid to collect rubbish ferret through the household rubbish looking for items they can on sell grafting a
little extra from the job. So I do need to be careful what I bin from my
apartment as we have a waste collector who empties our trash.
The second group are usually quite old ladies and I have
often wondered why. These people are
called ve chai, meaning rubbish collectors of another type, also the lowest
level and very poor, which helps to explain why very old women are doing the
job. These people buy specific household waste from households or pick up from piles
of rubbish on the streets. They target items not general waste. Bottles, cans
and cardboard being the most prolific.
Ve chai collectors are frequently seen
riding around the city on push bikes and they’ll stop and pick up a discarded bottle,
or a can or something that they can resell, a bit like a rag and bone man or a
scrap metal merchant.
Both types of waste collectors take their collectables to
small recycling depots who then onsell to larger depots who specialize in one
item. In Vietnam
almost everything is recycled or bits used for other items. They really operate
on that No. 8 fencing wire mentality. As a society they certainly have had lots of practice. They
used to strip down USA
army surplus, bombs etc.
I am amazed to see the way society helps others, the way the
richer leave cardboard boxes out for the ve chai. I am also in awe the way the
ve chai graft out an existence recycling and cleaning up around the city.



6 comments:
Somewhat humbling...
Here even with recycling I still end up with a half bag of rubbish. Mostly wrappings.
I suppose the Vietnamese recycling is the epitome of conservation of waste. Imagine the effect on landfill here if so practiced.
Here in Blenheim we are trialing e-waste collection for three months. Yay! We pay a fixed sum - about $5 per item. We have at least two computers and two printers that have to go. Have been hanging on to them as we didn't want them to go into land-fill. The recycling that you describe sounds like a good system for that HCMC.
Having just spent the last two weeks in urban and rural Turkey I have new appreciation of what we try and do in Blenheim in terms of waste recycling. The amount of litter and roadside I have witnessed in wonderful Turkey was upsetting. We purchased heaps of water bottles during our time and sadly they all ended up in the local landfill wherever it may be. Sadly no recycling at all here!
Having just spent the last two weeks in urban and rural Turkey I have new appreciation of what we try and do in Blenheim in terms of waste recycling. The amount of litter and roadside I have witnessed in wonderful Turkey was upsetting. We purchased heaps of water bottles during our time and sadly they all ended up in the local landfill wherever it may be. Sadly no recycling at all here!
Post a Comment