Monday, July 11, 2011

Sandstorm season.



Today midafternoon, the atmosphere went really dark as it does before an electrical storm, and a sand storm quickly blew up. The wind was blowing quite strong by UAE standards, strong enough to blow the washing off the clothes line on the roof top. Extra strong gusts were causing the sand to swirl like mini tornadoes. Of course the whole atmosphere is sand drenched and grey. I ran up to the roof top to grab my washing, only to come away with grit in my eyes, hair and all over my face leaving me feeling totally disheveled. And then I was doubly foolish to run up again to take some photos. One doesn’t learn. From the roof top I can look across to the Rotana Hotel, where the cranes are working. This afternoon it was hidden in the murk. About 10 minutes later I went out for a look, to find some colour in the sky again, the wind softly whispering and sand covering literally everything. Sand piles are against the walls and brick work. In our hallway are the tell tale footprints tracking in and out through the dust and everything is quiet once more.

No comments: