Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Thinking Bucket





Warren at UC ED Plus told me about this experiment that I have duly named the thinking bucket. You pour in coloured water and out comes clear water. What's happening inside the bucket is Warren's favourite question? So this week I tried the experiment out with the Grade 8 and 9 classes. The idea is we would do the experiment and they would go to the computer, draw what they thought was happening and write down three possible ideas. Each experiment is saved and the girls will make a brochure later. I took the first 3 classes, team teaching with Salama and then she did the last one on her own. She is GOOD. Bev my boss came in while I was doing one and was staggered at how engaged the girls were. They were just hanging there watching the cups of coloured water going into the bucket at intervals and clear water coming out. Of course the first question they asked was tell us whats happening followed by let us look inside. Of course not, either of those two will ruin the thinking.The end result was some fab drawings and some good ideas ranging from:
There is cotton in the hose that absorbs the colour
There is chlorine which they call chlor, that neutralises the colour
There is oil in the bucket so the coloured water stays above the oil
There is a plastic bag in the bucket collecting the coloured water
Forces. The coloured water forces clear out etc etc.

3 comments:

ianmac said...

Great thinking science. Expect it to flow over onto other questions. Well done Warren, Jocelyn and Salama!

Marg said...

Do we get to know the secret? What a fantastic prompt to some serious thought. The interactions between the girls must have been full on as they debated this one.

ianmac said...

I am sure that you can work out a logical scientific explanation Marg- unless you believe in magic!!