

Last week I talked with Salama my secondary ICT teacher about wikis. We don't have internet at school, but we discussed how we could use a wiki as a way of engaging the students, get them using the ICT and web 2 tools that they use at home in a constructive way, have them share their work with each other and the parent community and try a blended learning approach. The students of course have to do the www bit at home. We had decided that the students would send us their work and we would upload it, as a precautionary measure to test the waters and keep the students safe. However with the new discussion tab the students could log on and leave us reflective comments. We are using that function as a reflective journal and an assessment item. The first Grade up were Grade 12. These students are off to university next year, inshallah, so it was also important for them to start using tools and conventions that they may use next year. Salama hadn't heard of wikis until I made one late last year for Grade 8 to share podcasts with Appleby School. Until this point Salama hadn't used a wiki. She joined my wiki and I made her an organiser with editing rights. Oh my goodness...... Over the weekend she has researched wikis but more importantly prepared a "how to" for the students, in colour of course, rearranged the whole wiki, added photos, created pages, inserted graphics and created discussion forums. If ever a duck was taking to water......
Today we team taught and introduced the wiki to Grade 12. Now a few logistics here, we don't have internet. However Salama bought along her laptop with a data stick to allow us to log on to the web, and I borrowed a dataprojector. We had to do the lesson in the Grade 12 classroom as her laptop won't connect in the ICT lab. I did some demonstrating, we got one of the students to walk through the log in process for the others, Salama is very strong on students demonstrating, and we both talked/ taught. My apologies for the photo, however I am not allowed to take close up photos of the older students and the girls don't like their faces in photos. Salama is very good and allows me to take her photo.. from a distance. The girls loved the wiki. Next class Grade 11 science class. Same enthusiasm. As I write 9 students have left comments and there have been 42 views. Al Ref'ah Girls School enters the world of Web 2. Bring it on!
2 comments:
I once knew a Principal who suggested that since there were very few computers yet on the school, the children could learn to type using paper keyboards.
Isn't it great to work with someone so enthusiastic. Roll on the internet connection!
You must really enjoy working with teachers that show such enthusiasm and commitment. What a joy! Now just think, without you she would not have done this. Brilliant work Jocelyn.
Post a Comment