



On Thursday and today I worked with both Grade 10 classes modeling, brainstorming generally introducing the unit, immersion etc. Today I took photos of Grade 10.1. They were slow to get started but eventually got the idea, well most of them. Have a look in one photo to see Mr Talkative in the background, not doing an awful lot.At the end of the lesson we pooled our ideas to see who had the most original hobbies, from reading the Holy Orran to sand skating. At the end of the lesson one of the students from the group that had the largest number of original ideas approached me and asked for a sweet. I'm not sure if he thought his group should get sweets for getting the largest number, or whether he thought I should give him sweets anyway. Regardless he was out of luck.
On the point of extrinsic rewards we had a management meeting this afternoon, all heads of faculty, one vice Principal, Richard our MA, management advisor and us Teacher advisors. We were brainstorming ideas around the strategic plan, and quality learning, involving the community etc. Various groups mentioned giving prizes to best students, giving rewards etc. Even giving a prize to the best father for ensuring that his son was well cared for, did his homework, came to school etc. Well that's my take on the Arabic / English translation. Definitely a prize to the best father. Teachers are really into gifts, prizes, sweets and rewards.
My biggest gift to both teachers and students is to get them thinking about their learning, and learning in different ways. Not information in, information out. I'm going to do a science experiment with Grade 8 and 9 tomorrow and its all about thinking! Whatt do you think is happening and why... and there's lots of answers Watch this space, its exciting times and exciting teaching!
1 comment:
Be interesting to see how the boys analysed their results. They could graph the most popular real hobbies then graph the most popular "I wish" hobbies. eg: I wish for a hobby as an elephant groomer, or, I wish I could be a hobby camel rider across the desert into the sunset.
Post a Comment