Sunday, May 11, 2014

What's happening out on the street?

Yesterday there was a very big and noticeable presence of police and road police on the streets around my apartment here in District one. The red and white barbed wire fences were stacked up on the pavements at various street corners. Something is afoot. As I walked passed the university campus close to my apartment I noticed that there was a graduation ceremony. I also live  about 150 m from the Chinese Embassy so both the Chinese and university graduates are regarded by some, as radicals.
At 10:30 am I noticed that my street is blocked. My street runs into Hai Ba Trung one of the main atribuatores into the city, coincidently passed the Chinese Embassy. Green armed security guards  with automatic weapons are manning the post. On the other end of the street are police and another road block. Out another window amassing in the bank car park are a police riot squad, shields, batons, helmets and assorted weapons. As time progresses the riot squad numbers have increased, must be at least 50 now, however they seem relaxed, siting on the ground drinking water talking. More riot police have appeared at the blockade in the street. To be continued.....

I am in no way frightened or threatened. People are out on my street watching like there will be a parade. I'm fascinated. This is only the second time I have seen evidence and action of this nature. 




1 comment:

ianmac said...

Ah so. They didn't check the 6th floor!