Rachel on our staff is leaving this summer to go back to the UK and get married so to celebrate we girls, all 20 of us, went on a cyclo ride around District 5 in Ho Chi Minh City. I was fascinated ( and determined) to get some back views photos of the cyclo drivers. A few pictures that may give you a glimpse into everyday life in Ho Chi Minh City.
We'd each paid 250,000 VND for the 2 hr trip. I'm not entirely sure if that went to the organising guy who them paid the drivers, or if that went to the drivers. I also appreciate it is hard work biking up and over some of the bridges and navigating the potholes. However it seems that each and every one of our drivers saw us a meal ticket. The closer we got to the destination the more my driver kept asking / telling me about a tip. Until that moment he had pleaded no English, however his English was good enough to ask for a tip and tell my cyclo drivers don't have much money. While I would have tipped him, the more he mentioned tipping I hardened my resolve. I had a 20,000 note in my pocket and that was that!
Points of interest.
The boats that people actually live on covered over with tarpaulins, and looking unwater robust. These guys "shipped" in lots of fruit from around the country. They were onselling the produce "dockside"
The friendly people who smiled and waved
Area according to items. Motorbike area Fabric warehouse Fruit Sugar cane, furniture
We'd each paid 250,000 VND for the 2 hr trip. I'm not entirely sure if that went to the organising guy who them paid the drivers, or if that went to the drivers. I also appreciate it is hard work biking up and over some of the bridges and navigating the potholes. However it seems that each and every one of our drivers saw us a meal ticket. The closer we got to the destination the more my driver kept asking / telling me about a tip. Until that moment he had pleaded no English, however his English was good enough to ask for a tip and tell my cyclo drivers don't have much money. While I would have tipped him, the more he mentioned tipping I hardened my resolve. I had a 20,000 note in my pocket and that was that!
Points of interest.
The boats that people actually live on covered over with tarpaulins, and looking unwater robust. These guys "shipped" in lots of fruit from around the country. They were onselling the produce "dockside"
The friendly people who smiled and waved
Area according to items. Motorbike area Fabric warehouse Fruit Sugar cane, furniture














2 comments:
Amazing and the pictures tell a great story of life in Chinatown. Sounds like fun.
What a wonderful experience.
Post a Comment