Sunday, June 02, 2013

The puzzle addiction

At our school the teachers are required to run an after school club of varying sorts. Clubs have to fall into the set categories, sport, music, creativity, community or thinking. This is actually a ploy to get the students involved in some after school activity for an hour, rather than going home with the nanny or the parent and switching on the TV or playing video games. You seldom see children playing in the street, and the parents are often very busy tending to their business's to do any extra things with their children. Of course the parents use this time to enroll their children in at least 4 clubs during the week, as an additional form of baby sitting.  I help Natasha with  junior choir and  there are a lot of children who sit for a whole hour and don't sing a note. Their parents enrolled them believing Natasha can make them sing. Divas in the making???
Parents are supposed to collect their children from school at 3:40pm. Some children sit in the office night after night waiting for their care giver. When the care giver finally arrives the excuse is I forgot.
I've played strategy card games with the children as one of my clubs, and knitted peggy squares. Next year I decided to introduce jigsaw puzzles as my club. Who is this club for, children or teacher? However I have only found 3  book shops and only one that sells jigsaws in Ho Chi Minh City. Of the available puzzles most depict quite religious scenes so I have been on the hunt for jigsaws. Today I went to a flea market in District 2 which is the noted expat area. The flea market was really leaving expats selling off their surplus. Lying under a table was the above jigsaw, a Where's Wally type busy street scene. So for a mere 20,000 VND its mine. For those that know me well I spend/ spent alot of time at the bach doing jigsaws. Addicted may be the word that comes to mind. As you can see I have begun, as I need to ensure the puzzle pieces are all there, and its suitable for the students. Only about 900 pieces to go!

If this turns out to be reasonably popular I'd love to have a puzzle on the go in the foyer at break times. At this time of the year it gets really hot outside in our walled compound. Spending time in the foyer puzzling over jigsaws may just be another activity for the quiet ones. 


1 comment:

ianmac said...

Aha! Guess who has the last piece in his pocket?