Meet Ms Chau who is a teaching assistant at my TX campus. We do playground duty together on Wednesday morning and so got talking about the pending birth of her child.Ms Chau is going for a scan next week and under Vietnamese law the doctor administering the scan is prohibited from disclosing the sex of the baby. Medical personal face a 20 million Dong fine if they do openly state the sex of the baby. Wow that's $1,000. Now this piece of information got me thinking because every pregnant woman that I have talked with seems to know the sex of their as yet unborn baby. Ms Chau informed me that she is thinking of the indirect questions that she will ask her scan personal to learn the sex of the baby. These questions are;
Do you think the baby will look like Mum or dad?
(Using the symbols for male and female) Which way do you think the arrow will point.
While asking obscure questions and knowing the sex of the baby flaunts the law., I imagine that it does put Doctor or medical personal at considerable risk In some ways there seems no regard for the law as this is standard practice. I wonder too about medical ethics?
Under Vietnamese law a mother is entitled to 6 months maternity leave. I'm unsure if any or some of that leave is paid. I do know our school gives the Vietnamese teaching staff 5 days medical leave and 6 days personal leave. The later leave does not have to be approved, but may be requested and taken.
Ms Chau's mum lives close by and she already comes to the house to care for the other siblings, so care is not an issue. The Vietnamese are very family orientated and definitely care for the elderly. Welfare, GRI and other Western social benefits are not a feature of Vietnamese life.
No comments:
Post a Comment