Thursday, February 28, 2013

Completed aide memoirs


As previously posted I’ve been working with one of the Year 6 classes to create an aide memoir relating to digital citizenship. Last post I thought their work was excellent, considering we are not working with graphics software. I asked Jinny from our  British International School graphics department if she would come over and talk with the children and gives them a few pointers on how to improve their work. Jinny works for the school, not as a teacher,  but in graphics, working on all our publications, brochures etc. The school is trying to improve its branding and modernize things. Old is out. When I looked at Jinny in my classroom, young, slim, and gorgeous, I felt old and staid…..
Wow Jinny really was dynamic. Together as a class we looked at all the aide memoirs and she gave feed back, suggestions, and feed forward to the students. They then began improving their work following Jinny’s advice. She moved around the groups and continued to make suggestions and provide feedback. I know I learnt lots of simple things that made a great impact. So there is still life in the old girl yet!

Simple things she talked about.
  • First message bold and dark coloured font. Next message lighter, third message lighter still
  • Keep your fonts in the same family
  • Italics if out, it looks like something bent over eg OLD
  • Simple colour
  • Stagger the text Young.  Don’t have it sitting under each other. OLD Boring
  • If you have text in a box, keep everything in a box.. Keeps it in the family so to speak
  • Tease your audience. Can you see the light bulb for good ideas….. the students came up with that. S.P.R.O.U.T as in growth of ideas etc
  • Make connections with the lines





No comments: