Wow today was a definite break though for me. I managed to create a BYOD opportunity for the year 6 students.
Today was the first BYOD ( bring your own digital device) class at TX campus. Year 6 students were able to bring in smart phones, iPads, iPod touch and other digital devices for their ICT class. I had about 12 devices and was surprised at the number of children who actually own their own device and staggered at the 1 or 2 that have/ use 3G. We are using wikispaces to create an on line webspace and will upload content to create a virtual tour of the TX campus. Todays lesson was about creating / generating QR codes and using the device to scan the code. The moment the device scans the code the browser opens to that site. Some students embedded the code into their blog and got their friends to test the code with a device. Next lesson is about creating content for various spaces at our school, generating and attaching QR codes to those rooms. Parents will be able to virtually tour the school, or walk around the corridors to find out information for the rooms with assigned code.
And the scary thing, as we all know the Year 6 students were all very confident and adapt using this technology. Definitely 21 st century learners. And me their teacher???? Well I managed pretty well I think, trying to keep one click on the screen in front of the students as they say. I am delighted that I have been able to influence and push back a few frontiers and create a partial BYOD class. Some of the students don’t have the technology yet.... TET is coming up the time of gift giving, and having a device is NOT essential or compulsory. The students were definitely enthusiastic as we continue for the next 3 weeks. Yay. I have been responsible and led some change in ICT at my school.





Today was the first BYOD ( bring your own digital device) class at TX campus. Year 6 students were able to bring in smart phones, iPads, iPod touch and other digital devices for their ICT class. I had about 12 devices and was surprised at the number of children who actually own their own device and staggered at the 1 or 2 that have/ use 3G. We are using wikispaces to create an on line webspace and will upload content to create a virtual tour of the TX campus. Todays lesson was about creating / generating QR codes and using the device to scan the code. The moment the device scans the code the browser opens to that site. Some students embedded the code into their blog and got their friends to test the code with a device. Next lesson is about creating content for various spaces at our school, generating and attaching QR codes to those rooms. Parents will be able to virtually tour the school, or walk around the corridors to find out information for the rooms with assigned code.
And the scary thing, as we all know the Year 6 students were all very confident and adapt using this technology. Definitely 21 st century learners. And me their teacher???? Well I managed pretty well I think, trying to keep one click on the screen in front of the students as they say. I am delighted that I have been able to influence and push back a few frontiers and create a partial BYOD class. Some of the students don’t have the technology yet.... TET is coming up the time of gift giving, and having a device is NOT essential or compulsory. The students were definitely enthusiastic as we continue for the next 3 weeks. Yay. I have been responsible and led some change in ICT at my school.





1 comment:
That funny pattern like a barcode seen on the first screen, is on the header of one of our blogs. Wonder what it means?
Post a Comment