Friday, March 16, 2012

From where I can see


The contractors have been at work on the section in front of my apartment now for almost 3 months. Concrete mixer trucks come almost on a nightly basis and pour cubic meters of concrete down quite large pipes which have been placed in the ground. During the day the workmen create long steel structures, wielded together with circular frames, that are lifted into place inside the pipes, before the concrete pour. From early January these structures have been systematically constructed and place along the boundary fence. As of last night the laying of these pipes into the ground has almost completed three sides of the section. Of late gallons of water has been used and the whole area is a quagmire. I have seen the men wading through the quagmire which is well up over their knees. I'll add more pics from my apartment window in the next 2 days. Ijust snapped this one this morning on the way to work
Read into this post that I can see next door to no progress for the effort being demonstrated day and night each and every day. Only a few of the pipe tops are viewable now, and other than that there is a heap of water and soil.
Shaun our CEO is currently doing apartment placements for next academic year, and currently his PA is telling everyone that the building, 8- 10 stories, will be complete by the time we return to HCMC after the summer break. August 15. I don't think so!
I do know on some building sites they have upwards of 1,000 labourers. Our new school in Hanoi is currently being built by a team this huge. There are a lot of new apartment buildings currently being built in the An Phu area where our school main campus's are. An Phu also has a large ex pat population, and I am guessing these buildings are to cater for more expat While many of the labourers are male, I am surprised to see a number of women working on each and every site, hard hats, overalls and heavy workboots and all.

2 comments:

ianmac said...

I imagine that once the extensive foundations are in place, building will go quickly. There are limits on how many people could work in such a restricted space now but with floors in place it will be all go.

Marg said...

It is amazing the number of women working where one would normally only see men. When in Thailand, we saw women tiling the roofs of buildings in the temple grounds, lots of them.
I think I'll stick to my classroom job. :)