I had a conversation with a wee sweetheart the other day about her learning. Once a week she goes off to riding, a programme designed to improve co-ordination, relationships, thinking, self confidence etc. All key competencies from our new curriculum. Here the learning is taking place outside the classroom walls, in school time. It's still learning but does it get the recognition as learning. I'm curious to know how the class teacher uses the data from the riding to take next steps in the classroom, or to feed into the class programme? Is there some formative assessment for the child and for the teacher? Do they have these learning conversations? Under National Standards where will a programme such as this fit? Currently I have more questions than answers especially when there are people out there trying their hardest to provide quality learning opportunities for our students that are outside the box.
Teachers rock!
No comments:
Post a Comment