
I have just visited Monet and the Impressionists exhibition at Te Papa in Wellington. Monet is renown for his 1905 Waterlillies. While it was fantastic I fell in love with others in the collection. The front group of water lillies were so life like and crisp I was tempted to put my hand in the water to touch them.
Te Papa have a great website outlining the exhibition. They have included a copy of each of the hung painting and a small bio which has become a great reference on my return.This begins with work from his early career, to his work with the other impressionists to his Japanese influence and the work he did experimenting with light which was my favourite section. As a teacher if I show my registration, admission is free. Good one Te Papa, as I am a regular visitor.
My favourites:
The waterlillies
Camille Monet and a child in the artist's garden in Argenteuil
Fisherman's cottage on the cliffs at Varengeville
The waterlily pond
Valley of the Petite Creuse.. and the same scene painted in a different season
Valley of the Creuse (sunlight effect)
Renoir's Woman with a parasol and small child on a sunlit hillside
But the all time favourite was Rouen Cathedral façade and Tour d'Albane (morning effect) 1894
This was painted in his texture / change of light period.On close inspection the canvas is definitely textured, layer upon layer of paint. I found this canvas particularly powerful the further back I stood. Oh to have a long passage in my house. Oh to have the $$$ to own it. So if one can have 7 favourites these are they.
I read once... "you don't have to be a work of art to appreciate a work of art". How true.
No comments:
Post a Comment