Monday, December 10, 2012

Pokarekare Ana Part 2

Wow the wonders of technology and the power of the internet. My friends in NZ who agree with me that the music they hear is Pokarekare Ana and  have left me various comments which I thought I would share.


I’ve had some interesting comments from my family and friends around the Korean Yung Ga music and Pokarekare Ana. My friend Izzy said “Wikipedia tells me that the music and words are attributed to Paraire Tomoana. (That has to be a Maori name.) The music was used as the theme song for the 2005 Korean film "Crying Fast". So it became a traditional Korean tune!
Then my friend Marg sent me this contribution “ Pokarekare Ana emanated in the North of Auckland 1914. The original 1914 Northland version was probably a verse beginning Pokarekare ana ngā wai o Hoki-anga, and it was possibly set to a Dalmatian fiddler's dance tune.

While at. Narrowneck Camp in Takapuna, Auckland it would appear Maori soldiers from different tribal areas met there and swapped songs. They were there only after World War I had started in late 1914. Ngata and Tomoana note that the "present form" of the song was especially associated with 19th and 20th Maori Reinforcements, who were training at Narrowneck in May-June of 1917”
Fast forward 88 years from Auckland NZ and us Kiwis hear Pokarekare Ana as contributed by Dave and his family and the Korean film makers are using our music. I wonder what we traded for that? Cars, computer parts, electronics?
 
 

No comments: