4 years ago I went back to study through Massey University to begin work on my MEd Hons. I began with 2 e-learning papers. Also in both these papers was a lady called Michelle Cameralli who introduced herself as a nurse educator in Malta.Over time Michelle and I worked on several presentations together and I was to learn she was half Maltese, half Kiwi. Her Mum Jill, was born in Blenheim, before tripping to the UK and marrying a Maltese lad. Jill´s family also had property on Arapara Island in the Marlborough Sounds where Michelle had spent winter holidays. So co-incidences out of the way Michelle and I
developed a friendship I was amazed at her energy as while studying she was learning about e-elearning and about to set up a course for nurses in Malta wishing to enroll and update their qualifications using e-learning as the vehicle.
When I moved to the UAE we talked about meeting for coffee as I was in the vacinity so to speak. However while we continued to skype occassionally and facebook the coffee went cold awaiting the day we should meet face to face. Here I am pictured with friend and colleague Michelle discusiing her son Benji and some e-learning work issues over the long awaite coffee in Malta. Next time Michelle the coffee is in NZ.
Ian and I had a fabulous visit to Malta and loved the Island and spending time with Michelle and her family.
The points of interest:
The work of the Knights of St John in 1530 - 1700 and how their work continues today as in St John ambulance.
The way the Knights managed to survive a seige in 1565 from the Turks, which in turn led to the fortification of Valletta the capital of Malta.
The way the whole fortified city is built on the cliff tops and definitely would be a stronghold.
Mdina the first fortified city.
Malta being known as the Nurse of the Mediterrain having at its peak 4,000 troops evacuated from Galipolli. I wonder if my Grandfather came here
The stength and resillence of the Maltese people as they survived Germany´s constant bombing esp in April 1942.
More bombs fell in Malta during the WW2 seige than fell in Britain in their heaviest darkest September.
1 comment:
That is a lovely story of friendship and coincidences. How nice to be able to meet up with Michelle at last.
Post a Comment