Tuesday, August 30, 2011

School lunches



I'd not made the connection between British Schools and school lunches, and BIS Vietnam and school lunches, until this week. When the students register each day in their classroom, eg take the attendance role, they also choose their lunch for the day. Our school offers:
Asian. A meat dish complimented with either rice or noodles, a side salad or vegetables and 3 pieces of fruit.
Western: Pizza, meat with par boiled roasted potatoes or the like with fruit. To be honest I haven't in this section of the canteen.
Sandwiches: Which is a actually half a baguette and filled with your choice of fillings and meat, ham, chicken, cheese, salad, peppers etc with fruit
The cost is between 45,000 and 55,000 Dong depending on your selection and would bring a smile to Jamie Oliver's face. All very healthy options
Today beef stirfry with rice and spinach as a seperate dish with fruit. Yesterday
was roast pork, rice and corn cobs accompanied with fruit. Yesterday was sweet and sour fish with rice with a spinach. I'm seriously going to relook at my eating patterns. I can eat a hot meat veges and fruit meal at school, and have something light at home for tea. For a mere $2.80 a day why wouldn't you?
I can hear the mother's note of reason in my head, telling my sons that if they made their lunch every day they'd be saving the equivalent of $2.80+ which at the end of the week is $15 and at the end of the month etc. My rebuttal...... I'm having my homemade lunch for tea, and saving by not spending up large on meat meals..... and I don't have to cook it either. One could really get to like school lunches.

1 comment:

ianmac said...

Home cooking without the washing up and inexpensive!