Sunday, August 28, 2011

Motorbikes




Literally there are zillions of motorbikes in Ho Chi Minh. Today on a walk to the market I captured these 3 photos.
In the park close to my apartment was an event sponsored by Colgate. As you can see by the bikes it was well attended. yes those are bikes in the background under the trees. That doesn't include the hundreds that are parked on the footpath. Rather than parking on the road motorcyclists park on the footpath. Every 100 m or so is a uniformed person who seems to act as a parking warden. He writes yr time of arrival on your seat and then collects the cash when you return. I still have to take that photo. Men seem to sit around on their bikes and talk, however I captured this gentleman having a bit of a kip at the park waiting waiting waiting.
And why would you buy a car when you can get your family of four plus some take away food on yr scooter? The lad in front stands on the running board of the scooter, between the handle bars and the seat. The 3 passengers sit on the seat behind the driver. And the take away? Hanging on a hook, under the handle bars! Bon appetite

1 comment:

ianmac said...

"My bike is the 421st one on the right. A new shiny one but I can't remember the number on the rego plate," he said vaguely.
Imagine what would happen if cars were suddenly available at affordable prices!

Note the driver on the bike in the bottom photo is well protected, helmet, gloves and all. But I guess the front lad is expendable?