Saturday, August 27, 2011

An Phu Campus British International School, Ho Chi Minh


British International School has 4 campuses in Ho Chi Minh City, and I work across 2 of them. This is a snap of the huge An Phu campus, the heart of BIS. I'm standing on the 3rd floor, the top floor, and looking across towards the secondary school in the back ground.
An Phu is a new district, or suburb, across the Saigon River from the CBD, taken over as economic deveopment and progess began happening in HCMC. Anu Phu is very much an expat area, with the huge BP compound not too far down the road fromm the school, and lots of free standing villas. The area is reknown for its Western supermarket and spinkling of specialist shops. Although having said that we pass the older type shack housing built on poles out over the tributeries of the river, the street stalls and a fruit market.
BIS has opened a new campus this year BVIS where the curriculum is delivered in Vietnamese and they have a large number of English classes. I also work at Tu Xuong which is very close to where I live, in District 1 the CBD area. TX campus is very small, 2 classes at each year level inc kindy. Sadly with a school not purpose built and built in the heart of the city there is no outdoor area to speak of, just a hard court area the size of a tennis court, and NO grass.
I had dinner the other night with some staff from An Phu in a restaurant, sitting on the banks of the river. The evening slipped by as we watched the tugs quietly pull the smaller container ships and barges up and down the river. Across the river were the paddy fields. I definietley felt so much part of the city with a rural outlook

No comments: