Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Parks in Al hayer



Yesterday we had our first staff meeting at Al Hayer Boy's School in the Al Hayer township. The school is having a refit and paint inside and out, so is looking pretty whish.
In the time I have been here in UAE the Al Hayer Municipality, the UAE equivalent of the District Council have been building and creating a park in the centre of the township. They have created a lovely green space with trees, plants, walkways, children's play equipment etc. I haven't walked through this area yet but it does look impressive from the road. Families in UAE assemble in the parks in the evenings and frequently on Fridays, in their extended family groups and picnic. The children play on the equipment, but more often the kids are riding bikes, kicking balls, playing football, playing games, flying kites etc. As many Arab families sleep in the afternoon they can be found out picnicing late into the evening, enjoying the cooler temperatures. I have not known a culture of people who enjoy a green space as much, and who care and respect this space. There is almost no litter left behind. While I have been away the park extension down one side of the road has been completed, with these crafty new cycle riders have been placed along the walk way and their heads are the street lights. In the autumn I extend to be a picnicer, and already I am exploring the ideas of recreation and the park for the next unit theme at both schools. Bring it on !

No comments: