

Our beloved Sheikh Khalifia, President of UAE and Ruler of Abu Dhabi Emirate, and after whom the Burj is named, returned back to the UAE on Friday. Unbeknown to me he has been away in Switzerland convalescing. The Sheikh was born in Al Ain, so the rugby club here has put on a series of 3 nights of celebrations to welcome him home. I went along tonight. The evening began with 2 lines of men, about 50 or 60, singing, and moving to the beat of a drum, as they waved their camel sticks to the rhythm. The group of drummers who moved between the two groups were quite rhythmic also playing tambourines etc. I've not heard men sing over here before, but they definitely had beautiful voices. The whole number which lasted about 20 minutes definitely had an Africian sound to the music and the singing. This was followed by a fabulous fireworks demonstration for about 20 minutes and then the men began their singing moving number again. There were probably only about 100 in the audience, mostly Westerners. It was a beautiful evening, with food provided so I was a little surprised there were no Emirati or Arab families out for a picnic tea, enjoying the celebrations. Sunday is the beginning of the working week which might indicate the lower numbers, however Arab families love late night picnics.
1 comment:
This was something special to be a spectator of. Lucky you. I would love to have heard the singing.
Post a Comment