Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Keycutting. An interesting comparison


Back in April I blogged about the proceedure and requirements to get keys cut, and how women are unable to do this. Today was a bit of a turn around, and something that happens from time to time with bureaucracy in UAE. In the holidays I had needed keys cut for the front gate of our apartment block. So I had asked one of the managers at the restaurant on the corner if he would come with me. He took me in his car to a very small shop just around the corner which was closed. Today I needed new keys for my ICT labs so decided to chance my arm with the keycutter around the corner.
I drove to the shop which was closed. From the neighbouring shop comes an Indian man who proceeded to tell me I should ring the number on the door and the owner would come. The owner, I was assured spoke really good English, where as my Indian friend told me he did not speak good English. I beg to differ. I was following the conversation perfectly. I rang and the key cutting man took 5 minutes to get to the shop. My Indian friend then offers me tea or Pepsi from his cafeteria, small cafe while I wait in my car. My keys were cut, no paper work required, no photocopying of passports etc and he even wrote me a receipt. However Ian you will be pleased to know these ones cost !0 AED each. Must be the standard price.
I then asked my key cutting friend if he changed the tumblers on doors as I have lost the spare key I kept outside. He assured me he did and he even knew the vicinity of my apartment. Remember we don't have street address's here just iconic landmarks eg Sheikh heads roundabout. Within 10 minutes he's at my house with his box of tricks. New barrel fitted, 75 AED thank you and he was gone.
Now I have seen how easy the job was to do, and looked at every door inside my house that has 3 spare keys attached, all the same as the front door....... why didn't I think of that first?

2 comments:

ianmac said...

In Western terms, it is very strange that there are limitations on women getting keys cut. Although I suppose women are more likely to be dishonestly getting keys so that they can burgle houses. It is well known that the majority of burglars are women. Makes sense. (Kidding.)
I wonder how the "authorities" could ever check up on the paperwork anyway?

Marg said...

Hindsight is never around when you want it!