Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Roman and religious times






Our last 4 days were spent in the Amman area heavily influenced by Roman architecture. Amman is a very busy city, tactfully built around the ruins. Amphitheaters, columns, bath houses, the Citadel, all carefully restored and preserved. More of the ancient city of Jerash is being discovered each year through all the archaeological digs. I found this city so exciting to walk around entering through Hadrain's gate and walking down the streets to the market place. It reminded me very much of Rome, seeing the chariot wheel marks in the stones. The technology used to build the amphitheaters with fabulous acoustics was mind blowing.
leaving Amman we moved to the Dead sea area which had all the religious significance. Moses monument over looking the desert he spent 40 years wandering around, and of course Jesus's baptisim site on the bank of the Jordan River. As I dipped my toes in the water, 3 meters across the water was Israeli and their tribute to the baptism site, and a guard with gun watching over us. last but not least nothing beats the tranquility of floating in the Dead Sea at 6:30 am because you can!

2 comments:

AllanahK said...

I'm so bouyant anyway that I float above the water at the best of times. And of course you know I can do a bit of the old walking on water if asked- as a party trick.

Marg said...

No sink or swim decision required here. What bliss to be able to lie back knowing you won't go under. Must have been a wonderful sensation. I do wonder whether the salinity saturation provides a different feeling - apart from that better floating sensation!