Thursday, December 31, 2009

Small steps




I have modeled a few lessons now for my Boys's school primary ICT teacher. I begin with the students sitting on the carpet with me. That's a first for them. they normally runin the door and go straight to a computer. I speak quietly, that's another first. We begin the lesson with a storyboard or planning sheet, another first. My teacher asked me last week do I always do storyboarding and why?
Today I popped into his classroom unexpectedly and the photos are what I saw. This was a Grade 1 class and they were so at home, storyboarding from the carpet, using the coloured pencils to draw their pictures. The carpet is quite soft so they all gather around the edge with their little bottoms in the air, and their papers on the marble tiles so they have a hard surface to draw on. The students now want to take their pictures home to show their parents so we are beginning that conversation about portfolios.
Just very small steps but some days it comes together so well. My teacher is about 6 foot tall and with the small students he is so tall. So today he sat on a chair while they worked on the floor with the kids were at eye level with him. It was a lovely lesson to watch as he talked with each of the students and did some whole class teaching.
World over young students still draw themselves and their family in very much the same way, stick figures, no necks, huge fingers etc

1 comment:

Marg said...

You must be thrilled with the changes that you have instigated. What a buzz to see the teacher and the children following through on your teachings.