Andy was the opening keynote speaker at learning@schools ICT conference in Rotorua last week. I have read some of Andy's material on leadership and change, so I was looking forward to hearing the man himself.
I thought his keynote was very powerful for many reasons and over the next while no doubt I shall blog about them.
He made some pertinent statements.
Poverty is no excuse for failing
He cited the example of Tower Hamlets in the heart of London's dockland area, an area that has been hit by the downturn in the shipping industry. Tower Hamlets is now very much a migrant, semi depressed area. He discussed how the community had turned the area around and some of the strategies in doing so. Educating the children became a priority. Poverty is no excuse for failing. I am often struck by the deficit thinking that some teachers display regarding children's learning, using the poverty card as a reinforcer.
Aren't we as teachers responsible for taking the child from where they are at, working on the known, co-constructing new learning and moving forward? Know the child. The Literacy learning Progressions accentuate this point. If the child is not at their age level work back until you find the child's level, and in some cases it can be a few progressions back, then begin the learning.
In the Dominion Post newspaper this morning, was an article and photo which I have uplifted, showing some wee sweethearts from Cannon's Creek School in Porirua, Wellington wearing their new All Black school uniform issue jackets as they came to school. Cannon's Creek is a decile one school (very poor) and the children often stayed home when it rained because they didn't have raincoats or jackets (or shoes or socks). However KidsCan charity has donated jackets and footwear for the children so that there is no longer an excuse not to come to school and learn. If KidsCan can help to get the children to school, then we as teachers can help them learn, from where ever they come, from where ever they are at, from whatever they can do. Poverty is not an excuse.
No comments:
Post a Comment