After watching the previous You Tube video I was working with a group of teachers and we started having discussions around the use of clip art. Jamie McKenzie, and others, are adamant that using clip art is a quick fix. There are strong messages being sent out.
Do we as teachers value children artwork?
At what point do children stop believing they can draw, because we as adults on the whole often believe we can't draw, or sketch.
What value do we place on children rising to the challenge and producing quality art to enhance quality work?
What does a limp piece of clipart say about a presentation and the author?
To reinforce the Mckenzie article, the students Little River School were only too pleased to share their art work, and the too school values every drawing. It's a clipart free zone. Children's art and photos are used.
So if clipart is not an option then grabbing an image from Google images often does the trick. I have to acknowledge I have done that too, but again I ask what is the message I give about plagiarism? Do I acknowledge those sources? Do you? In our curriuculm we talk about honesty and creativity.Is this not a double edged sword? Our curriculum dicsusses developing that know how, can do attitude in students. In my book we are failing our students badly grabbing clipart and images as a prop, a filler.
last week I was reading a book around images. The author reafirmed a picture is worth a thousand words and suggested we should be brave and just have a picture and no text on our presentations. That way the audience listen to the message rather than focusing on the text. Every one can read, but how many of us can imagine, think, wonder, question, infer, persuade, relay stories through an image?
No comments:
Post a Comment