I'm still enjoying reading this book. Friedman discusses the 10 forces that have attributed to the flattening of the world. All of these have happened since November 1989 and 9 of them since the turn of the century. Basically the internet, plentiful band width, open source software created and shared by the people, with the people and for the collective benefit of people. The whole thrust is to create and allow collaboration in a global society. The greater the communication and collaboration, from a child's blog post, to an email, to a video link up,the world is getting smaller and smaller at a dramatic pace. This weekend I have used lots of the tools to collaborate construct and compose,all from the confines of my own home.
I drafted this post last week. I didn't want to seem to be OTP, but I am enjoying the book and reflecting on the ramifications for my learning and my practice. Yesterday while reading Derek Wenmoths blog, he mentioned The World is Flat and this terrific site, Academic Earth where you can listen to the big names in education and thinking. AND Derek had listened to Thomas Friedman. No prizes for guessing. Yes I went and listened to a global summary of the points he makes in his book. Its 44 minutes long, about as long as it has taken me to read one of the the influences on flattening the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment