As I read "The World is Flat" I reflect on the tools that are available now that make the world a flatter place. E-mail, internet, open source software, and telephones. Of course the cell phone creates more of a direct, point to point connection. ITU (International Telecommunications Union) statistics show that in 2002 6 out of every 10 New Zealanders had cell phones. In 2007 the number had risen to 8.75 out of 10. Interestingly enough some countries eg Sweeden have 11.25 out of 10. That's an awful lot of cell phones.
Last Friday I had cause to use my phone to snap a pic of a wee sweetheart in action and record her voice. Instant data gathering. From my phone I could send that data in various formats to any number of places.... email, internet, open source software and of course another cell phone.Mobile learning at it's best. Sometimes in the rush to do more and better we over look the simple but effective. With the use of such a small and unsophisticated piece of technology, the world just got flatter and smaller. Humbling really.
1 comment:
Hi Jocelyn
I have just had a class trip to Picton today and decided to try and email a photo and audio file via my cell phone to the Principal from the children. It was very easy, very exciting, and the Boss was very delighted to hear 23 little voices saying hello to him from Picton.Now I'm wondering about its possibilities in Education and the cost. Perhaps you can help me with this?
Liz
Witherlea
Post a Comment