It's been along time since I posted. As many of you know I completed my study towards the end of 2008, about the time I last posted and now have my Master in Education. As a reward to my self I took a trip to the Middle East and achieved one of my goals, visiting the pyramids in Giza, not to mention one in Saqqara, close to Cairo.
As I climbed the Cheops pyramid I marveled at the technology used to create such a structure, in 2500 BC! I was also in awe of the people who thought these ideas, who thought outside the square, who thought differently.
As I traveled I became aware of other examples of thinking differently, of thinking outside the square, often in the face of adversity. The Nubian people for example, who live close to the border with Sudan. They were relocated after their land was flooded by the creation of lake Nasser and the Aswan High Dam. They turned adversity around, though a change in their direction and thinking, to create new products for a niche market.
I also had time to reflect on consumerism. Christmas was alive and well, even in Muslim countries. Mostly I reflected on the generosity of the people I met, who didn't know me, who talked to me, who helped willingly especially when it came to the language and directions. Who said woman can't read maps? They do ask for directions, frequently!
There are so many parallels one can draw.
So I'm back in the saddle, back on the horse, in this case camel, trying to think a little more creatively, working smarter with the technology and being a consumer of knowledge in that area. Did I mention the speakers I bought! However not forgetting my friends and colleagues who support me in my quest for learning. And....... asking for directions, having those all important conversations!
Happy New Year.
1 comment:
Welcome back Jocelyn.We will look forward to hearing about all your adventures on our Lead Teacher days.
Happy New Year.
Karen
Post a Comment