Wednesday, January 21, 2009

M-learning in Blenheim




I have noticed many young people all using PDA's in our local library over the summer period. On inquiring I was told by the librarian that our library is now part of the governments digital strategy. The strategy, The Aotearoa's People's Network is "about providing free access to broadband internet services in public libraries so that all New Zealanders can benefit from creating, accessing and experiencing digital content".
While our library has 10 computers for people to use, the library is wireless, and people can use their PDA's independently.

Now I'm really curious.
If Starbucks has a wireless network that helped to increase patronage and turnover, what will be the benefits to the libraries? They were already information centres so the idea behind the digital strategy is "about making resources available to the community for education", so the librarian told me. It's definitely about being mobile so I'm on a quest to see investigate the learning. I have questions to ask and answers to find.

No comments: