I am reading around the theme of mobile learning. M-learning. This is the concept of being able to use PDA's, personal digital assistants, in that "any where, any time" learning scenario. Its also about learning styles, pedagogy and teaching and learning. Today learners learn on the move in the "any where, any time" scenario that suits them.
A few years back I had heard Derek Wenmoth describe an experience he had in Malaysia in McDonalds. The y-gen were coming into McDonalds and using their personal technologies through the hot spot or maybe it was a wireless network to carry on their life. They were wired, in downtown McDonalds, surfing the net, chatting, messaging etc all in that real time window.
While in Singapore we stopped in at Starbucks for coffee on numerous occasions. The place was filled with the y-gen all with their PDA's, their friends and their text books. Some were reading, others were using laptops, their mobiles, their MP3's, and in amongst that they were talking with each other, and occasionally eating or drinking coffee. We struggled to find a seat at times.
Lots of issues came to mind. Why were Starbucks providing the necessary wireless network for these young ones to use? What was the payback for Starbucks? Were these young people purchasing enough food and drink, while connecting with each other to provide the necessary revenue return for such an organisation? It seemed to me the staff were very busy, and the turn over of seats not that great, so someone was buying.
Then there were the questions about learning. From my view point it was co-operative and collaborative. Possibly each of the groups were learning communities, or social networks. The learning climate, and culture was obviously meeting learning needs. Or was I witnessing a small percentage of focused learners? I would be interested in your thought and opinions on this issue.
I was fascinated with the connectivity, the conversations and no doubt the learning. As I pulled out my cell phone, (it wasn't a sophisticated model) and used it, I felt part of the scene and definitely not discriminated through age or technology. I was just another person taking advantage of m-learning in a 24/7 environment.
No comments:
Post a Comment