Sunday, July 06, 2008

Wordle


I've been catching up on professional reading. In the ICT Online newsletter was an article on Wordle, so I couldn't resist having a play with this free application, as you do! Wordle allows you to enter text and the application makes tags and clouds from your words. Nice and gimmickry. looks good but whats the value to education? I'm currently writing my last essay for my Masters so I highlighted a paragraph of text and pasted that into Wordle. Wow that's when I could see the power of the application and the value to learning. My essay is based around Communities of Practice. Wordle certainly highlighted the nouns I had used frequently, and like Delicious the more I used the word the greater the prominence. Suddenly jumping out at me from the page were some high impact statements, that captured the essence of the points I was making in my essay. Yes to value for learning.
More learning too.
When I went to save my Wordle masterpiece up came a wee warning that in doing so my work would be available to all and sundry, anonymously of course, on the net. On my Apple I did a Shift, Apple 4, click and drag over the window and saved my Wordle as a jpg onto my desktop, for use some other time. I bet you a chocolate fish or a half strength latte I see Wordle clouds in uLearn presentations.

No comments: