Monday, February 10, 2014

Toe jam

In the summer I'm doing a bike ride between Belgium and Holland. To complete the ride I need to get bike fit, and work up a few bike kilometers especially into my legs. My New Year's resolution, go to the gym more often, especially seeing the school pay $600 dollars towards a gym subscription for me. Gyms here are expensive, I have had to pay an additional $280. My gym has a nice big outdoor pool, and sun loungers, so it really is not a hardship to spend an afternoon during the weekend on the bike in the gym and then some down time at the pool. This weekend was day 1.
I'd spent time on the bike notching up some kms, warmed down on the tread mill and was pleased with the km's  I had covered. It was now time to take my book and lounge in and beside the pool. Walking to the pool edge with bare feet, I slipped on the wet tiles. I bent back my toe and walked on it, no crisis. Retaining my dignity I did get into the pool and swim a couple of lengths. Out of the water the bruising and the swelling on that toe set in immediately. On returning to my apartment I could barely hobble around. So here I am sitting on my couch, foot in the air, ice on my toe, contemplating my next New Year's resolution. Don't go to the gym, they are dangerous places.

This morning, I'm still hobbling.

3 comments:

Izzy said...

That toe does not look good. It looks as though it would be jolly sore to walk on. I hope it is not broken. Take care.

ianmac said...

That doesn't look like an injury. It looks like an infection. Be careful.

Marg said...

Not nice. Toes can be very painful. I know I've got one at the moment that I bruised.