Year 3 IPC topic for the term is Visual representations. Just ideal for me to integrate ICT into the Year 3 classrooms through digital photography. Ms Uyen the ICT teaching assistant at AP 1 purchased some new cameras , designed to make photograpghy and movie making easier for younger students. Today we began learning about taking GOOD QUALITY digital images using the new V tech cameras beginning with taking photos, reviewing images and deleting unwanted images.
The vTech cameras have some really good features to support younger learners:
1.Solid and firm hand grips at each end of the camera as well as a wrist strap of course.
2.Two view windows with eye guards so the students can pull the camera to their faces, as one does. This also helps to keep the camera steady and naturally improves the quality of the images taken.
3.A limited number of buttons, labelled with child friendly icons that do all the usual functions.
4.A rotatable lens for taking different angled photos.
While the vTech camera is not a known brand created for top photography or a camera I have used before, it is a good camera for children to learn the fundamentals of photography without being over whelemed by buttons and functions. The focus is photography and skillfully taking photos not learning the fundamentals of a particular camera. Having spent many hours teaching children about digital photography and using Canon or Kodak cameras, the real deal, I wondered what I had come across with these cameras. Having also done a great deal of work and research in previous years on the philosophy of Montessori, children should be using real and actual, I was in 2 minds about these cameras. Were they just a little better than a toy. However I'm impressed so far in the use and handling from the children, the robustness area, and the ease of use. I have about 125 Year 3 students so the cameras will get a suitable workout. Next week we'll tackle downloading and looking at the quality of the images where I hope to be in a better position to make thoughtful comments about the camera. I have no idea of the cost, they were purchased, not being used, so I have picked up that challenge and added digital photography to the ICT curriculum for Year 3. So it will be a case of watch this space and wait there will be more.





The vTech cameras have some really good features to support younger learners:
1.Solid and firm hand grips at each end of the camera as well as a wrist strap of course.
2.Two view windows with eye guards so the students can pull the camera to their faces, as one does. This also helps to keep the camera steady and naturally improves the quality of the images taken.
3.A limited number of buttons, labelled with child friendly icons that do all the usual functions.
4.A rotatable lens for taking different angled photos.
While the vTech camera is not a known brand created for top photography or a camera I have used before, it is a good camera for children to learn the fundamentals of photography without being over whelemed by buttons and functions. The focus is photography and skillfully taking photos not learning the fundamentals of a particular camera. Having spent many hours teaching children about digital photography and using Canon or Kodak cameras, the real deal, I wondered what I had come across with these cameras. Having also done a great deal of work and research in previous years on the philosophy of Montessori, children should be using real and actual, I was in 2 minds about these cameras. Were they just a little better than a toy. However I'm impressed so far in the use and handling from the children, the robustness area, and the ease of use. I have about 125 Year 3 students so the cameras will get a suitable workout. Next week we'll tackle downloading and looking at the quality of the images where I hope to be in a better position to make thoughtful comments about the camera. I have no idea of the cost, they were purchased, not being used, so I have picked up that challenge and added digital photography to the ICT curriculum for Year 3. So it will be a case of watch this space and wait there will be more.
5 comments:
Hope the kids learn to handle these robust cameras gently or later fragile cameras won't last long.
Hope the kids learn to handle these robust cameras gently or later fragile cameras won't last long.
Intriguing things. I would think they would be great for 5 yr olds.
Intriguing things. I would think they would be great for 5 yr olds.
Here is a review on those vTech cameras
http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2011/07/kids-cameras-reviewed-vtech-and-lego-stand-out.html
Post a Comment