Sunday, March 14, 2010

Spreadsheets and Smarties


Long ago Stewart, friend and colleague, did a workshop focusing on spreadsheeting using Smarties, Colours of Smarties, totals, averages, percentages etc. I've expanded on that workshop and introduced it to the students in my Grade 8 and 9 classes. They absolutely loved the hands on and of course eating the Smarties. ICT here has been very much a skills based programme with no links to context, and no linking of learning or even constructing new learning from prior learning. Next week they get a bag of Skittles and repeat the process, linking the learning, making analytical statements to state whether you get value for money from 1x large pkt of Skittles of 2 small packets of Smarties. Wow some constructing new knowledge. Hmm that involves thinking but we're ready for the challenge. Thanks Stewart for the idea.

2 comments:

Moturoa said...

I try and do the same thing from time to time but I bet it is a lame attempt to your efforts. Do you have a digital copy of what the lesson goes like that you could share?

Allanah

Marg said...

Yup, you can always get them with food. I introduce my 5 yr olds to graphing using sweet wrappers (after they have eaten the contents). I see the table they are working at is one of the round tables that you had some input into. Great stuff.