
Most teachers here use the information transmission model of teaching. They download disseminate the information in lecture format to the students who "absorb" it and then regurgitate in exams. One of my primary teachers is often telling me "the students should memorise this". The students accept that's the way it is. Today I was encouraging my Grade 9 boys to predict which packet of sweets would give them value for money. They just wanted to be told the answer. Thinking is not a word in their vocabulary. While I was teaching I had the boys in groups. Today my secondary teacher tried the same teaching strategy with an older grade. Attached is a pic of group work UAE style. One person seemed to dominate the group, you guessed it the guy out the front. Some habits die hard.
1 comment:
Jocelyn, you must find it very frustrating at times but the buzz you must get when you see something you have introduced being implemented must put you on a huge high. I am full of admiration for what you are doing. Kia kaha.
Post a Comment