
I've been working over the last term on writing a paper focused on blended learning. Today my supervisor returned my paper with the green light and very complimentary remarks, so I am one happy scholar. :-)
In the research I have read and the dialogue I have had there seems to be some confusion and discussion around the term blended learning.
The debate is distinguishing between web-supplemented classrooms and hybrid classrooms Web-supplemented classrooms retain the same amount of time for face-to-face teaching with supplementary online activities to be completed outside class hours. Bleed (2006)considers this web supplemented classroom, the bolting on oftechnology to a face-to-face class. Conversely, hybrid classroom instruction is partly face-to-face and partly online. This time split gives students the time to carry out high quality web-based learning outside classroom walls. Hybrid classrooms use the same time allowance as face-to-face classrooms, but with a 25% - 50% split between the online segment of the classtime.
During the Learning@schools conference in Rotorua this year I attended a workshop by Richard Van Dyk and Kelvin Maine from Katikati College. From the workshop I got a glimpse into Kelvin's senior computing class. I believe he operates a blended learning environment using Moodle. Blended learning in this day and age, catering for students learning styles seems an ideal way to incorporate reflective practice, online learning, preferred ways of learning and developing technologies with the very busy lives students and adult learners lead.
No comments:
Post a Comment