Sunday, October 06, 2013

Book week. Dorothy and Glinda arrive at Oz


Book week is always a big deal here at BIS, with each year group taking a theme, decorating their rooms, reading to the chn etc etc. Normal teacher stuff. The school also gets an author from the UK to visit. This year we had the brilliant author illustrator Liz Million On her web site she says " I am a very enthusiastic speaker and the kids all have a fab time watching me draw and listening to my stories."
OMG is she just that.  She bought out copies of her Digger the Dinosaur books. In workshops with the children she showed them how to draw characters from a simple baked bean, really brilliant.



Friday is book character day when the students and teachers come dressed up. The teachers  really go to a lot effort, made easier by the fact that the Vietnamese are really clever tailors and will make anything you want from pictures. The Year 6 teachers dressed as Hobbits, looking splendid with their big ears and boots with claws.



I decorated my An Phu class room with yellow bricks. The kids loved it hopping from bricks to bricks around my carpet.

Uyen dressed as Glinda the good witch of the North and I, as Dorothy. Costume complete with red shoes, ankle socks, wig, dog basket and of course the ever faithful Toto.

The kids loved it!

Way back when I was a child and living a zillion miles from civilisation my Dad took my brother and I to see the Wizard of Oz one Christmas Eve. It was probably the first time I had ever gone to the movies. I was soooo scared as the group travelled through the enchanted forest I was crouched down hiding behind the seat. Reliving old memories.








2 comments:

Marg said...

I guess there were a fair few Munchkins about the place as well...

Izzy said...

Don't the kids just love book week dressing up? And the teachers too - I know I always did and usually dressed as a pirate or a wicked witch! Well done Dorothy!