Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Magic squares, thinking / problem solving


Last term Year 4 spent some time working with spreadsheets so yesterday I was really trying to extend their problem solving and their thinking skills. I love spreadsheets and calculations. Spreadsheets are such a versatile application and so useful for creating objects that require people to do some higher order thinking. Spreadsheets are sooo much more than just graphs.
Yesterday Year 4 manipulated a spreadsheet, added some formula to create a magic square. The formula helps provide the user with feedback on the yellow squares, as the numbers are added together.
When using a magic square you have to get the numbers to total to 15, as you add across each of the 3 rows, and the 3 columns and diagonally. You place the numbers 1 - 9 in any of the squares, remembering you can only use each number once and the total in the  set of squares must equal 15.
Bao was looking rather triumphant, he managed to solve the magic square puzzle very quickly, while everyone else in the class was saying " It's too hard", or " I can't get it to work out" or "Can I use 3 again?". Well done Bao, great problem solving


No comments: